Salou is a coastal resort city on the Costa Dorada, moreover 110 kilometers south of Barcelona. This spot is already known all over Europe, for instance, by its fabulous climate; as well as for its wide range of activities and facilities that attract nearly 2.000.000 tourist each year!
Find an accommodation now!
History of Salou
It is often the shape of the natural harbor that determines the history of a coastal city. The first citizens of Salou were the Iberians. Next came the Greeks, who baptized the city « Salanrio ». They were followed by the Romans, who named the city « Salauris ». The fall of Roman Empire and the arrival of Saracens resulted in the depopulation of the city. Subsequently, it was not until the reconquest of Alphonse II, that the city further began its redevelopment. In the second half of the XIX century, Salou started to welcome its first summer tourists; and almost one century after, in the 1960’s, Salou became one of the #1 tourist destinations in Europe.
What drew the international crowd were the beautiful beaches and coves characterized by golden sand, crystalline water and gorgeous Mediterranean weather. In addition, according to a 2015 census, the population of Salou is roughly 27.000.
Activities in Salou
The amusement parks
One of the most widely known attractions in Salou is the enormous amusement park « Port Aventura » which brings in more than 4 million visitors each year. It is the most visited theme park in Spain and the 6th most visited in Europe. The park features 6 “worlds”; each with its own theme (China, Polynesia, Mexico, the Far West, Mediterranean and SeamoAventura), as well as an incredible aquatic park that serves as the perfect place during the summertime to have fun with your friends and family. Between the roller-coaster rides and exciting shows, you are guaranteed a day of fun, laughter, and amazing memories you will keep forever!
- Address: Av. Pere Molas, Km 2, 43840, Tarragona
- Opening hours: Every day from 10:30 t0 23:00
Salou is a holiday destination with a huge variety of fun activities for the whole family. Take the Salou tourist train through the city and explore the main sites. Combine this with a relaxing day at the beach.
For adventurous visitors, we recommend the Bosc Aventura, a natural amusement park located in the city center of Salou, in which you can enjoy nature and activities such as paintball, yodel and rock climbing. Or spend an afternoon at one of Salou´s 2 karting circuits, one with a conventional circuit and another with electric karts. And, of course, we can’t talk about Salou without mentioning its spectacular beaches and coves, great spots to enjoy the beautiful Mediterranean weather.
- Address: Carrer de Barbastre, 15, 43840 Salou, Tarragona
- Opening hours: Every day from 10:00 to 14:00 and then 17:00 to 19:00
Sightseeing and hiking
Walking along the «Camino de Ronda» (or, in English, «round walk»), you will feel the gentle sea breeze blowing through your hair and the warm rays of sunshine caressing your face. This walk allows visitors to get some exercise and enjoy the wonderful natural landscape, away from the crowded capital of Costa Dorada.
On the «Camino de Ronda» you will come across the Lighthouse of Salou, inaugurated in 1858. The lighthouse has a red central tower which is still fully functioning. The building is open to visitors, offering them the opportunity to climb to the top and enjoy amazing view of the sea. The visit is free and can be done between 10:00 and sunset.
- Address: Carrer de la Falconera, 8, 43840 Salou, Tarragona
- Opening hours: Every day from 10:00 to 19:00
Another wonderful attraction, the Roman Villa of Barenys, is one of the historical sites in Salou; an archeological site that will send you back to the 1st century B.C. The building was once used to manufacture ceramics, such as construction materials and the amphorae used to export wine.
- Address: Avinguda D’ Antoni Gaudí, 27, 43840 Salou, Tarragona
How to get there
- Car: Get on B-10 from Via Laietana, Passeig de Colom and Passeig de Josep Carner. Take AP-7 to C-14. Take exit 35 from AP-7. Continue on C-14. Take Carrer de la Ciutat de Reus to Carrer de Barcelona in Salou. It takes around 1 hours to reach Salou from Barcelona.
- Bus: To travel to Salou from Barcelona by bus, you will first have to go to the bus station at Passeig de Gracia, 36, Barcelona. Buses start running at 07:00hr and continue until 23:00hr. The frequency is from 1 to 2 hours, so please have a look on the website of Plana, the company providing this connection. It will take around 2 hours, and will cost around 13€ for a one way journey.
- Train: The train company RENFE covers the service between Barcelona Sants station and Salou. Trains start running at 08:00hr, and the last one leaves at 19:30hr. The frequency is from 3 minutes to 2 hours. The journey takes approximately an hour and a half, and ticket prices range between €8,80 and €13,80. And for the return, from Salou to Barcelona Sants, trains start running at 06:00hr and finish at 22:00hr. The frequency is from 20 minutes to an hour and a half. The journey takes approximately the same, and ticket prices are 7,00€ each.
Are you planning a trip to Costa Dorada and looking for somewhere to stay? Why not take a look at the AVAILABLE APARTMENT RENTALS ON OUR WEBSITE! Please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have.