The citizens of Barcelona are addicted to books and reading, it is not a secret. You will quickly notice the huge amount of bookshops and libraries in Barcelona all around the city. Wherever you will stay, we are sure in a close distance of your place you can find a library, bookshop, antiquary, secondhand bookstore, coffeehouse with a bunch of bookshelves or just a bookstand somewhere on the street or at the metro station.
The huge system of the public libraries of Barcelona contains over 30 libraries throughout the city and more extra in the surrounding. Every neighborhood has a main library and some smaller ones. The entering to the libraries is without any fees. The only thing what you should do is get a library card, what you can order online, or just ask for it at any of the libraries. They will make it for you in few minutes. With your library card which will be valid for all the libraries, you can use the free wifi service. All the libraries have comfortable studying zones with desks and computers for your needs.
If you need a calm and quiet space for work or to study, or just want to chill out and read an interesting book, one of the libraries will be a perfect choice for you. Usually, it is a coffee place or a small bistro in the building of the library or in the close neighborhood, so you can spend there longer time than just a couple of hours. Since Barcelona is a university city, the libraries are never empty, but not only the students are using their services. The most of the public libraries are open between 10:00-14:00 and 16:00-20:30 during the work-week and on Saturdays in the mornings.
We listed for you the main and most liked libraries in all of the neighborhoods of Barcelona.
Check out the list and choose the best one for you!
Ciutat Vella neighborhood:
- Biblioteca Francesca Bonnemaison – Carrer Sant Pere més Baix, 7, Metro Urquinaona (L1) (L4)
- Biblioteca Sant Pau-Santa Creu – Carrer del Carme, 47 / Hospital, 56, Metro Liceu (L3)
- Biblioteca Gótic – La Rambla, 30-32, Metro Liceu (L3)
- Biblioteca Barceloneta – Carrer Comte de Santa Clara, 8-10, Metro Barceloneta (L4)
Sant Martí neighborhood:
- Biblioteca Xavier Benguerel – Avinguda del Bogatell, 17, Metro Bogatell ,Ciutadella (L4), Marina (L1)
- Biblioteca Camp de l’Arpa – Caterina Albert – Carrer Indústria, 295 , Metro Camp de l’Arpa (L5)
- Biblioteca Poblenou-Manuel Arranz – Carrer Joncar, 35, Metro Poblenou (L4)
- Biblioteca Sant Antoni – Joan Oliver, Carrer del Comte Borrell, 44-46, Metro Sant Antoni (L2)
- Biblioteca Joan Miró – Carrer Vilamarí, 61 (Parc de Joan Miró), Plaza Espanya (L1)
- Biblioteca Fort Pienc – Plaça del Fort Pienc, 4-5, Metro Arc de Triomf (L1)
- Biblioteca Vila de Gràcia – Carrer del Torrent de l’Olla, 104, Metro Fontana (L3)
- Biblioteca Gràcia Jaume Fuster – Plaça Lesseps, 20-22, Metro Lesseps (L3)
- Biblioteca Vallcarca – Passeig Vall d’Hebron, 65-69, Metro Penitents (L3), Vall d’Hebron (L3, L5)
Sants & Montjuïc neighborhoods:
- Biblioteca Francesc Candel – Carrer d’Amnistia Internacional, 10, Metro Sant Eulália (L1)
- Poble Sec-Francesc Boix – Carrer Blai, 34, Metro Poble Sec (L3)
- Vapor Vell – Passatge Vapor Vell, s/n, Metro Plaza de Sants (L5), (L1)
Les Corts neighborhood
- Biblioteca Miquel Llongueras – Travessera de Les Corts, 58, metro Collbanc (L5), Les Corts (L3)