La Sagrada Familia is a colossal Roman Catholic Church under construction and is one of the most popular tourist sites in the world and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was consecrated and proclaimed a minor basilica by Pope Benedict XVI and over the years it has become the universal symbol of Barcelona and Spain. The construction of La sagrada Familia began in 1882 with the architect Francesc de Paula del Villar i Lozano.
In 1883, Antoni Gaudi was engaged to carry on the works and then devoted his life to the realization of this monument. Until 1910, he worked on many buildings and soon, personified the modernist movement. He already had a grand reputation when he started La Sagrada Familia. Steeped in religion, he began to consider the building as a sacred mission. He invested all his money and his technical knowledge with a set of symbols representing the birth, death and resurrection of Christ. He died in 1926 and left the monument unfinished.
Interrupted in 1936, the construction was resumed in 1952 thanks to the plans and existing models. The two sides currently visible are the lateral sides of the cathedral; the main sides are still being built. The first side is the Nativity, organized around three portals: Hope, Charity and Faith. The second side is the Passion, which recalls the last days of Christ. The main side will be the one of the Glory, crowned with four towers.
The Sagrada Familia will be able to accommodate more than 13,000 people and a choir of 1,500 people. Its anticipated completion date is 2026; the centennial of Gaudí’s death. The entire building is an allegory of the Christian religion. As an amazing building of monumental proportions and meticulous decorations, La Sagrada Familia is one of the greatest monuments of the century. Despite cranes and scaffolding, a strange beauty emanates from this place.
La Sagrada Familia tickets:
Although The Sagrada Familia is far from complete, it is definitely worth the visit. The church is extremely rich in ornamentation and symbolism and has vaults that reach 230 feet. You can even visit the crypt where Gaudi is buried. A museum tells the story of this great architect and church history. To get to the top of the towers, visitors must take the elevator. The access to the tower is not included in the entrance ticket. It will cost additionally €4. From the top of the tower, you will have one of the most beautiful views over Barcelona.
It’s better to visit La Sagrada Familia in the early morning or late afternoon when the reflections of the sun magnify the structure of the cathedral. Moreover, a good suggestion is to buy your tickets online, to avoid long hours in line. For a more exhilarating and detail-packed experience of the church, there is also a skip-the-line guided tour available, if you are very keen!
- Languages available: Catalan, Spanish, English, French, Italian, German, Portuguese, Russian, and Chinese.
- For Children: Narration adapted for children between 6 and 12 which will guide them on the tour, allowing them to learn, easily and enjoyably, about things such as how to distinguish between different kinds of stone to the way the elements of nature are incorporated into the architecture.
The Sagrada Familia is surrounded by beautiful building landscape, so if you want to be nearby to this monumental site in order for easy access, then view and book available apartments and rooms now!
- Address: Carrer de Mallorca 401, 08013, Barcelona
- Transport: By Metro – Sagrada Familia (L5 or L2)
- Prices: without audio guide: €14.80, €12.80 for students and retired. With audio guide: €19.30, €16.30 for students and retired. €18 with audio guide, €11.50 for students, people under 18 or pensioners, €15 with audio guide. Supplement of €4.50 to visit the towers.
- Schedules: April to September: 9am to 8pm. October to March: 9am to 6pm. Exceptions: December 25th and 26th, January 1st and 6th: 9am to 2pm.
- Tel.: +34 935 132 060
- Fax: +34 934 761 010
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you looking for a great accommodation in Barcelona? Look no further, we have what’s right for you!