TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice: Spanish destinations ranked high
TripAdvisor, the world’s largest travel website, announced the winners of its Travelers’ Choice TM Destinations awards. These awards recognize the favorite places of TripAdvisor travelers from all around the world. The panel selected London as a winning destination this year, both globally and in Europe. Paris took the second and Rome the third position. Most importantly, Spanish destinations ranked very high on the European list.
The winners of the Travelers’ Choice Awards have been selected using an algorithm based on the ratings of hotels, restaurants and experiences providers in destinations all around the world during a period of 12 months. Moreover, this methodology takes into account the quality and volume of comments given to destinations that provide the best overall experience for travelers. In addition, TripAdvisor has awarded 401 destinations around the world.
In this new edition of the Travelers’ Choice Destinations Awards, Spain has 10 award-winning cities. One of them worldwide and three at European level. Firstly, Barcelona has ranked 7th in the world list, 5th in the European ranking, and as the star destination of the year in the national ranking. Secondly, Mallorca ranked 2nd position in Spain and 9th in Europe. And lastly, Tenerife climbed four places up, ranking 10th in Europe.
Let’s see the list of top 10 destinations in Spain:
1. Barcelona: To enjoy Barcelona, there are numerous tours, experiences and other attractions available. You can join guided tours to get to know the Sagrada Familia, Casa Batló or the Gothic Quarter and much more.
2. Mallorca: The biggest one from the Balearic islands ranks the 2nd position at the national level and 9th in the European list. Travelers visiting Mallorca have, for instance, the option of visiting the Cathedral in the capital or surround themselves by nature in the Sierra de Tramuntana.
3. Tenerife: Climbing four places in the European list, the island is on the 10th position of the ranking and on the 3rd at the national level. The Teide Volcano and Loro Parque are some of the favorite attractions for TripAdvisor travelers.
4. Gran Canaria: As in the last edition, Gran Canaria is ranked 4th in Spain this year. Gran Canaria offers complete day tours to get to know the island. The Pico de las Nieves and the Roque Nublo Natural Monument especially are some of the most interesting places to visit on the island.
5. Madrid: This year, Madrid occupies the 5th place at the national level, having risen one position compared to the last year. The capital has a lot to offer. Moreover, people love to discover its hidden corners and experience local culture and gastronomy.
6. Fuerteventura: It has been recognized in 6th place nationally. Corralejo is a prominent tourist location. Furthermore, an express ferry excursion to the Isla de Lobos Natural Park is the favorite choice of Fuerteventura‘s visitors.
7. Ibiza: Ibiza moved one position higher comparing to the last year. There are plenty of things to do. From water activities such as snorkeling or speedboat trips to numerous parties on boats and catamarans.
8. Sevilla: Awarded with the 8th position in the Spanish ranking, it has risen in comparison with the previous year. The city of Seville offers many attractions. However, without a doubt, visits to the Real Alcázar, Plaza de España and La Giralda are the most frequent ones year after year.
9. Menorca: Menorca ranks 9th in Spain and continues to offer an interesting list of activities, places to visit and discover. Among the popular sites on the island are Ciudadela and Mahón. You can, for instance, practice water sports or join motorcycle tours.
10. Valencia: The city is placed in the Top 10 destinations of Spain thanks to its indisputable cuisine and tourist attractions such as the Central Market, the City of Arts and Sciences or the Oceanogràfic.