Barcelona is about to host Formula One World Championship
Grand Prix Barcelona 2019 is around the corner! If you’re a Formula One fan, or you would just like to experience the unforgettable atmosphere at the circuit, you definitely shouldn’t miss this event in May!
The Spanish Grand Prix, called Gran Premio de España in Spanish, is a Formula One race currently held at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya in Barcelona. The race is one of the oldest in the world still contested. It was first held in 1913 as a production car race. Interrupted by the First World War, the race waited a decade for its second running before becoming a staple of the European calendar. It was promoted to the European Championship in 1935 before the Spanish Civil War brought an end to racing. The race was successfully revived in 1967 and has been a regular part of the Formula One World Championship since 1968 at a variety of venues.
Drivers such as Lewis Hamilton, Kimi Räikkönen, and Fernando Alonso are competing in Formula One Championship this season. In addition, teams Ferrari, McLaren, Williams, Mercedes, and Red Bull are participating this season too. Lewis Hamilton with his Mercedes team won a gold medal both in 2017 and 2018. Let’s see who will be the winner of this edition!
The event will be staged at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya which is located 20km northeast of Barcelona city center. It is situated in a small town called Montmelo.
There are numerous types of tickets you can purchase. You can either buy a single-day ticket for the main race, or a 3-day pass allowing you to watch the practice and qualification as well. Firstly, many people ought to buy a general admission ticket, which is the cheapest option. General Admission area has no seats. Therefore, it’s up to you which spot you choose. The most popular General Admission area is the hill between turns 6-8. Secondly, you can purchase tickets for different grandstands. Tickets in most grandstands are divided into zones which equal to the row numbers. For the best views, we recommend choosing the highest row number in your chosen ticket category.
The Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya is a large and exposed area. The races will be taking place under the hard Spanish sun. Therefore, make sure to bring everything you need to make the experience as pleasant as possible.
If your tummy starts to rumble during the race, don’t worry! There will be more than 80 points around the edges of the track where food and drinks will available. These will include sandwiches, pizzas and other fast food.
Some amazing facts about Formula 1:
- An average F1 driver loses about 4 kg of weight after just one race. A person who has lost 4% of body weight can lose up to 40% of their psycho-physical ability. The F1 cockpits have a drinking bottle installed for the drivers. The drivers can drink water from it via a pipe.
- During the race, the tires lose weight too! Each tire loses about 0.5 kg in weight due to wear. Normal tires last 60 000 – 100 000 km. Racing tires are designed to last 90 – 120 km. At top speed, F1 tires rotate 50 times a second.
- F1 car engines last only for about 2 hours of racing mostly before blowing up. While we expect our engines to last for a decent 20 years on average. That’s the extent to which the engines are pushed to perform.
- F1 car can accelerate from 0 to 100 mph and decelerate back to 0 in just four seconds.
- The best F1 pit crews can refuel and change tires in just 3 seconds.
How to get there?
TRAIN: You can catch a train from either Barcelona Sants, Passeig de Gràcia or Clot rail stations in Barcelona center. It’s around 30 minutes long ride until you arrive at Montmelo station which is the nearest stop to the Catalunya F1 race circuit. Once at Montmelo, you have a few options to arrive at the F1 circuit. You can either take 45 minutes long walk, or make use of a small shuttle bus that will operate between the rail station and the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya during the event.
CAR: There are 32,000 parking spaces at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya. However, it is worth bearing in mind that the track is very long. Therefore, it is essential that you park your car as close to your seating as possible.