Almost everybody likes to read. For many people, reading is a basic necessity. Just to crawl up on the couch with a nice, good book, and forget about daily life for a bit. However, sometimes it might bring difficulties finding nice bookstores nearby. For tourists visiting Barcelona for a few weeks or months it can be hard to find bookstores fitting their needs. Most of the bookstores in Barcelona offer books in the Catalan or Spanish language. Now, if you understand those languages it is easy to find a good bookstore. However, if you are looking for books written in English or another language, it might take some time to find the one that has the books you want. It is not that there are no bookstores offering books in several languages, there are many, however, you just have to know where to go!
Find your accommodation now!
Where to go?
There are lots of bookstores in Barcelona offering an assortment of English books. Some are very easy to find, and some are a bit more special and harder to find. We just listed a few nice ones for you, so that you can go and explore different kinds of bookstores in Barcelona!
- FNAC – FNAC is a really big bookstore. The store is located at Placa Catalunya, which is the central square of the city. This French based retailer chain is the largest in the city. Most of the books they offer are in Spanish and Catalan, but they also offer a variety of books in English, French, Galician, and German. You can find novels, newspapers, fiction, travel books and more. Besides books you can also find a variety of music, DVD’s, and electronics.Address: Placa de Catalunya 4, Barcelona
Opening hours: Monday to Saturday 10am until 10pm
- Hibernian – This is a cosy, small English bookstore located in the district of Gracia. They offer both new and second-hand books, however, most of the books are second-hand, and you can see this back in the prices. Hibernian is the only second-hand English bookstore in Barcelona. You can find everything from children’s books to antique novels, fiction and non-fiction, thrillers, poetry, science-fiction and much more. They have more than 40,000 books, most of them shipped from Dublin.Address: Carrer de Montseny 17, Barcelona
Opening hours: Monday – 16:00 until 20:30, Tuesday until Saturday – 10:30 until 20:30
- RAS gallery and bookstore – This bookstore is located close to MACBA, the museum of modern art. This bookstore does not only sell books, there is also an art gallery thrown in. They specialize in graphic and art books (work of architects, design, photography, typography, film), but you can also find books on street art like graffiti and skateboarding, and many more!Address: Carrer del Doctor Dou 10, Barcelona
Opening hours: Tuesday until Saturday 12:00 until 20:00
- Mercat de Sant Antoni – Mercat de Sant Antoni is not a bookstore, but a big market in which lots of different things like books, films, comics, calendars, magazines, children’s stuff, food, and much more is offered. When strolling down the market, you can find tons of old books.Address: Carrer del Comte d’Urgell, 1bis, Barcelona
Metrostop: Sant Antoni
Opening hours: Every Sunday from 8:30 until 14:30
- Laie – This is a classic European bookstore and café. Laie offers various novels and books on art, architecture, and film. It’s really nice that they also have a café, because you can easily grab a book and go read it quietly in the café upstairs.Address: Carrer de Pau Claris 85, Barcelona
Metrostop: Passeig de Gracia or Urquinaona
Opening hours: Monday until Friday – 9am until 9pm, Saturday 10am until 9pm
- The Watergate Bookshop – The Watergate Bookshop is different from normal bookstores. It is located in the El Raval neighbourhood, and not easy to find if you do not know of its existence. You can find artistic, political, design, cultural studies, music, and comic books.Address: Placa de Vincenc Martorell 2, Barcelona
Opening hours: Monday until Friday – 10:00 until 14:00 and 16:30 until 20:00