Why do we celebrate St Valentine’s day?
St Valentine’s Day dates back centuries ago from different legends that have reached us today. The most popular symbol for Valentine’s day is the Roman God “Cupid” who is illustrated as a young boy that shoots arrows with his bow and arrow, there are quite some theories around the history of Valentine’s day. The Saints Valentine Supposedly three hundred years after the death of Christ the Roman emperors were forcing the community to believe in the existence of the Roman gods. Valentine, who was a Christian priest had been captivated and locked up by the Romans because of his teachings. This demonstration partially led to this celebration on the 14th of February.
Another theory was the one of a Italian Bishop named Valentine who lived around the same time as the priest Valentine. He too was imprisoned because he let soldiers who were in love secretly marry their love, which at that time was against the Roman Laws for a soldier to get married he secretly married other couples as wel, legends say he was burned at the stake. Sain Pope Gelasius I declared February 14 as “Valentine’s Day” however, this isn’t an official holiday but is celebrated by a lot of people all over the world.
Find your accommodation now!
Whatever the odd mixture of origins, St Valentine’s Day is nowadays for sweethearts. It is the day that you show your friend or loved one that you care. You can send candy to someone you think is special. Or you can send roses, the flower of love. Most people send “valentine” a greeting card named after the notes that St Valentine received in jail.Valentine’s day in Barcelona
Valentine’s day in Barcelona is celebrated generally like the rest of the world on the 14th of February , you indulge your loved one with gifts, flowers, candies, a romantic dinner or other romantic gestures. In the city of Barcelona there are many things to do on Valentine’s day in barcelona just keep in mind to start planning and booking in advance due to overcapacity.
Activities on Valentine’s day
- Gourmet dinner on a Deluxe Bus : A great way to see the city and experience a culinair enlightment with Michelin-star chef Carles Gaig who will provide you with top notch, world class meals while you enjoy the most famous sights in Barcelona, including La Sagrada Familia and other Gaudi architecture. This Gourmet Dinner on a Deluxe Glass Roof Bus is a culinair experience you won’t forget.
- Champagne Breakfast in a Hot Air Balloon from Barcelona : Drinking champagne while you’re a couple of hundred feet up in the air isn’t something you do every day so why not have this Champagne Breakfast in a Hot Air Balloon experience with your loved one. This trip takes approximately one and a half hour from Barcelona to the countryside and coastline, including hotel pick up and transport to and from Barcelona.
- De Cajon Flamenco Festival : In the first few months of the year Barcelona is host to De Cajon Flamenco Festival where there will be a couple of amazing shows the every week including on Valentine’s day. This particular festival is a sensation and a must see when you’re in Barcelona, it’s a festival filled with spectaculair where some of the best artists get to perform their skills. If you’d prefer to combine the show with a delicious dinner, then go ahead and book a “tabloa ” instead where the meal is included in the ticket.
- Spanish Wine tasting : No Valentine’s dinner is complete without a bottle of wine, right? If you like, enjoy and appreciate wine, why not go on a romatic wine tour with your loved ones. The Spanish wine tasting is a good way to learn about Spanish food, wine, history and many other lessons such as making organic wine. Not to mention the fact that the whole wine tour is in English so in this case you won’t miss out any detail in the wine process.
- Romantic Sailing trip : Another classic treat on Valentine’s day is an exclusive sailing excursion where you will be shown around all the main port areas in Barcelona. The wind blowing through your hair while holding a glass of wine in one hand and your lover in the other hand. This romantic sailing trip is perfect for the outdoor sea lovers but it is also an amazing experience for others looking for a new way to celebrate Valentine.Another classic Valentine’s Day treat. Enjoy a private sailing excursion around the Barcelona port area, with a glass of champagne in hand.
- Movie scene Tour : Whether your loved one is a movie freak or just simply enjoys watching movies then you may wanna consider this movie scene tour. It takes you to all the famous filming locations in Barcelona with insight from the people who actually worked on the shoots. The engaging guide speaks English and shows images to every location and/or story he is leading you in which makes you feel like you’re in a movie yourself!